Forum Discussion

Zuzana
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

XPath in groovy script: How to use a variable in contains() function?

Hello,

I struggle with using a groovy variable inside a contains() function of XPath statement within a SoapUI property.

Having this xml:

<ResultSet>
  <Row>
   <Id>1</Id>
   <Description>Something1</Description>
  </Row>
  <Row>
   <Id>2</Id>
   <Description>Something2</Description>
  </Row>
</ResultSet>

This works:

log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., "thing2") ]/Id}');

Result: 2 (which is correct).

These syntaxes don't work:

groovyVariable = "thing2"
log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., groovyVariable) ]/Id}');
log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., ${groovyVariable}) ]/Id}');
log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., "${groovyVariable}") ]/Id}');
log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., "$groovyVariable") ]/Id}');
log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., $groovyVariable) ]/Id}');

Result: 1 (first element in the structure) or nothing.

Is there a way how to resolve a groovy variable inside an XPath function please? I bet there  must be a combo I didnt try and which is the correct one :).

I use ReadyAPI 2.1.0.

Thank you,

Zuzana

•  

log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., "' + groovyVariable + '") ]/Id}')

The string is closed before the variable is added then the end of the string

2 Replies

PaulMS
    Super Contributor

log.info context.expand('${JdbcRequest#ResponseAsXml#//Row[ Description/contains(., "' + groovyVariable + '") ]/Id}')

The string is closed before the variable is added then the end of the string

Zuzana
      New Contributor

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the advice, this solution works.

Zuzana