Forum Discussion

microbBO
New Contributor
8 years ago

XPath Expression to RawRequests doesn't work after update to 1.8 version

Hi all, my early wrote XPath Expression based on Raw Requests return [], window with xml structure didn't open when I try create a new  one, in request set expression like a ${xxxx#RawRequest}  

Any ideas how I can fix it?

Note: I'm working with  SOAP 

19 Replies

joshcacho
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi. I originally entered this issue and they emailed me yesterday indicating the problem was fixed in the nightly build. I haven't had time to try it yet but that is what I will be doing today. Hope this helps. I just rolled back to the previous version, 1.7 in the meantime.
      AntonE
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Yes, we got back to how things were in 1.7: both Request and RawRequest properties contain request body, Request with property expansion expressions and RawRequest with already expanded values, exactly as it was sent. Please, download the nightly build if you had issues with them.

AMA
        New Contributor

It seems to be working again, thanks!

joshcacho
      Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have the same problem. Some of my input SOAP requests were input with RawRequest everywhere after updating to 1.8 and my Property Transfers which use Raw request as the "From" can't get transferred to the "To." Keep getting this dam Unexpected Element: CDATA. Everything was working before nicely but after I updated everything went to crap honestly.

Please fix this or let us know if we can roll back to a previous version. I tried rolling back to a previous version and it still didn't work.

Thanks,

Josh

joshcacho
    Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem but also even more severe. Property Transfers not working for Raw requests anymore. So bad. Hoping for solution quickly. Being down or having no way to rollback to previous version is not working either.....

TanyaYatskovska

Hi All,

In Ready! API 1.8, we have improved the RawRequest property - now, it includes a request header. So, I suggest that you check XPath expressions you are using. As a new node for a header is added to a request, perhaps, your XPath became invalid. Please check this.

Refer to the following article to learn about the changes in Ready! API 1.8:

http://readyapi.smartbear.com/about/release_notes/latest/start

microbBO
        New Contributor

Hi Tanya, in my case header doesn’t impact my request because I work with request body only. And this improvement doesn’t explain why when I try to create XPath expression through “Get Data” function by RawRequest property “Select Xpath Math” window didn’t open and expression like ${requestname#RawRequest} set

lermimou
    Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I my requests, i have thousands of parameters like

<urn:transactionId>${#Project#transactionId}</urn:transactionId>

So i can't use the request to retrieve the parameter.

I needed to use the rawRequest to have the parameter filled.

It's not possible to me to switch all parameters like

<urn:transactionId>${#Project#transactionId}</urn:transactionId> to a propertyTransfer in the request.

Please, how can I do?

AntonE

Hi, lermimou

Sorry, I don't understand why you had to use RawRequest if you didn't need the headers. What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to transfer the whole request, you shouldn't specify XPath, just select Request property.

lermimou
    Occasional Contributor

For Example, this is my request.

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:urn="http://urn:MEWSUserPref">
    <soapenv:Header/>
    <soapenv:Body>
    <urn:HelloWorld>
    <urn:in0>hello${#Project#timestamp}@test.fr</urn:in0>
    </urn:HelloWorld>
    </soapenv:Body>
    </soapenv:Envelope>

In the assertion, i compare a parameter to the in0 request parameter

declare namespace ns1='http://urn:MEWSUserPref';
    //detail[1]/ns1:MEServiceException[1]/ns1:in0[1]

${myTestCase#Request#declare namespace urn='http://urn:MEWSUserPref'; //urn:setFilterSettings[1]/urn:in0[1]}

With this method, everytime i launch the assertion, a new timestamp is generated, due to the dynamic parameter.

I need to check the parameter sent in the request so i used the RawRequest

${myTestCase#RawRequest#declare namespace urn='http://urn:MEWSUserPref'; //urn:setFilterSettings[1]/urn:in0[1]}

In this case, the parameter is always the same in the assertion.

The same problem appears with propertyTransfer steps. The Request option transfers the ${#Project#timestamp} instead of the timestamp generated in the request.

How can i check these cases without the rawRequest?

AntonE

Thank you for clarification, now I see the problem. I think this is a bug and Request property should have the value of the property, not a property expansion string, but we need to discuss this with the team.

However, I tried to use Request property in XPath and Groovy assertions and it seems to be expanded automatically, so assertions pass. I used property expansion string as an expected value, but assertions definitely expand it - you can check, just use wrong expected value and check the actual value in the error message). What type of assertion do you use? Where do you generate timestamp property?

AMA
        New Contributor

Same problem here..

Can't use data via XPath from the raw request with version 1.8, We use this on serveral places property transfer, GetData in requests, ...

When will this be fixed and what do you suggest we do in the meantime with this know bug? Install the previous version?

Kind regards,

Arjan

lermimou
    Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I defined my property in the project custom property with this value :

${=new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("yyyyMMddHHmmssSSS").format(new Date())}

So everytime i used this property, a new timestamp is generated.

I aggre with you, the property expansion expand the property in the assertions but a new value.

I hope this bug will be fixed asap.

AntonE

And what do you use as an expected value in the assertion? Property expansion will get a new value every time assertion is checked, no matter how actual value is formed.

lermimou
    Occasional Contributor

the expected value is the value of the request parameter filled the dynamic property filled

example:

<urn:in0>hello20160726113826130@test.fr</urn:in0>

That's why i need the real value sent in the request (actually, only accessible through the rawRequest)