Forum Discussion

sharmameera
Contributor
9 years ago

Ready API overwrites other user's work in Composite Project

I am facing the following problem. Is there a work around or a solution?

Thanks.

Saving issues due to overwritten files
Following scenario:

• I have a project with 1 suite with 2 test cases.
  • Workstation 1 adds a step to test case 1
  • Workstation 2 adds a step to test case 2
  • Workstation 1 saves.
    --> OK: Only "element.order" and the file of test case 1 are changed and saved.
  • Workstation 2 saves.
    --> NOT OK: For some reason SoapUI tries to save "element.order" and both test case files, even though this workstation has only changed test case 2.

The result is that workstation 2 gets asked if the file for test case 1 should be overwritten, which in my eyes is wrong. If user 2 does confirm, the changes of workstation 1 are reverted.

Is this a known bug? Or is there something I can do to avoid this behaviour?
(I use Ready API 1.3.1)

6 Replies

PhilK
    New Contributor

We hit this bug in Feb 2015 with SoapUI Pro 5.0.0. It is a known bug that still exists, even in latest ReadyAPI.

Refer SOAP-3629 defect. It relates to Composite projects , where multiple testers work on one project.

A save causes the full workspace (multiple XML scripts) to be saved to file system, even if scripts not changed.

This results in scripts being overwritten, and changes to scripts being lost.

The SoapUI Team Support page states : "When saving the project only those items that have been updated will actually be saved to the file-system ..". This is NOT what SoapUI does - see above.

SmartBear support has stated that "Composite projects are intended to be used with version control systems ..". However we do not need source control, if SoapUI worked as stated on their Team Support page. The only other workable option that we have is to "segment" our projects into sections, and allocate them to different testers. Not great for a multi-user program.

The SoapUI Team Support page also states "If you are using a surce control system ..", ie. source control is optional. Nowhere does it state that source control is a pre-requisite for composite projects or multi-user functionality.

We are waiting for a fix to defect SOAP-3629. 

PhilK.

sajanjohn
      Occasional Visitor

Is this defect SOAP-3629 has been fixed?

We are having the same issue (Ready API overwrites other user's work in Composite Project.). The testing team at AAA is using this version - API Ver. 1.7.0.

Please let me us know. The email is  - sjohn@aaamichigan.com

PhilK
        New Contributor

Yes, this is still a major issue for us. I retested it again today, and it is still happening. We have ReadyAPI 1.6 here, with composite project format 1.2. MarcusJ (Smartbear Support) confirmed this issue exists with composite project version 1.3 also, on 17th March.

Tanya Gorbunova (Smartbear Community Manager) discussed with Support yesterday.

Today (6th May) , Marcus sent email stating "A new internal defect was opened for your scenario, after this was discussed with a Ready API developer and product owner of API-4889.  This defect is still open, will ask the product owner to prioritize the defect.".

We have no "workable" solution or workaround for this, so all testers must be ultra careful, and check with all other testers before any "save". It is a matter of time till we get another "overwrite" , where test case updates are lost and test step updates are lost.

I will forward this post to your email addr. Regards, PhilK.