Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REST test step doesn't save PUT resource/method

SCurran
Not applicable

REST test step doesn't save PUT resource/method

Hello,

I have a REST project with multiple resources and methods. One of them is a PUT request. It works fine.

I have a testsuite with several test steps. One of them should exercise the PUT request. It works fine, but...

When I first created the project, the PUT test step saved its selected resource/method (i.e., PUT). But now that I've made a few updates to this project, the test step fails to save the resource/method. A property transfer step in the test case is also failing to save some of the previously-selected properties.

I re-created the project once, and everything was saved OK, but now the items above fail to save again.

I'm using SoapUI Pro 4.6.2. Project XML is available on request.

Severin B.
Software Developer
13 REPLIES 13

Re: REST test step doesn't save PUT resource/method

Hi,

Can you post the .log files located in <soapui install>\bin folder?

In the soapui-errors.log please check for "Failed to delete temporary project file".

Also please post project since we may need to try to reproduce locally.

Regards,
Marcus
SmartBear Support

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
sbeauvais
Contributor

Here are the subject files.

I noticed the addition of "source property set to null" as soon as I (re)set the method to PUT. (The method does not stay as "PUT" between program restarts, even though I have saved the project.)

Cheers,
Severin B.
sbeauvais
Contributor

I also noticed a warning about missing script folder under SoapUI 4.6.1, but I cannot find where that setting is stored, so I cannot update it. I recently upgraded from SoapUI 4.6.1 to 4.6.2; apparently this was not automatically updated.

Hi,

I see in the soapui-errors.log that "Failed to delete temporary project file" is present. That could be an issue. I was able to import your project, change the resource from a GET to a PUT, save the project, and upon restart the change to PUT was saved. Can you try importing the project into a new workspace?

Regards,
Marcus
SmartBear Support

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
sbeauvais
Contributor

I have imported the project into a new workspace, as you suggested. It seems that the PUT remained on the first load.

However, after a subsequent program restart, the PUT was again a GET. In fact, I now have 3 testcases in this project, and all 3 have changed from a PUT to a GET.

Here's the new project.

Everything is in source control, so I can reinstall painlessly, if required...

SB
sbeauvais
Contributor

Could you tell me how to resolve the "failed to delete temporary project file" warnings? I have never seen these temporary project files that are referenced...

Hi,

Could you tell me how to resolve the "failed to delete temporary project file" warnings? I have never seen these temporary project files that are referenced...

There is currently an internal defect SOAP-995 for project changes failing to save, and "failed to delete temporary project file" appearing in the log files. This is unfortunately a known issue that can occur, but we do not know what the exact trigger is. This has only been reported from a few users.

Have you done any editing of the project file, or did you move the project file to a different location than where it was when it was first created?

Regards,
Marcus
SmartBear Support

sbeauvais
Contributor

I have not moved the project file.

I have not edited the original project file.

However, I have reformatted a new project XML file (to try to figure out the issue).
sbeauvais
Contributor

I have found a way to work around the problem.

The problem is that SoapUI gets confused if there are several methods with the same name under a REST service. (I had left the default names created by SoapUI.)

The confusion is that teststeps (in a testsuite) may use the wrong method for a resource. This is seen when a teststep is configured with a REST test request specifying a PUT method, but after saving and reloading the project, the test request may use the GET method.

The work-around is to name all methods differently. (It may be necessary to add in the testsuite test requests anew, so that they refer back to the renamed methods.)

SB
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors