Forum Discussion

jlivingston
New Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Postman importing from link throws nullpointer exception

I am trying to import a postman collection in readyApi on my VDI. I click on create new project --> click on integration tab --> then I paste the link for my Postman collection. It throws javalang.Nullpointerexception. 

When I paste the postman collection link on the browser I am able to open it. But readyapi cannot reach it. How can I solve it? 

richie
    4 years ago
    Hey jlivingston,

I get what youre saying...its annoying not knowing the reason.
    I think the only way youd be able to nail this down is to do a bit of research to determine what version of postman is supported by the readyapi! plugin and then look at any release notes to try and get an understanding of what is supported.
    Along with this you could try identifying all the variances from a simple collection that are contained within the collection you want to import (e.g. parameterisation, use of global variables, javascript assertions, etc.) and then create a single collection for each of these additional extras to work out which function could be the problem. Trial and error....call it experimental testing!

Reason why im saying this is a couple of years ago, if the collection included host or rest parms the import would fail.

Nice one,

Rich

3 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey jlivingston,

I actually stopped bothering trying to import postman collections, cos i had so much trouble (nullpointers, etc.) getting the import to work. Especially if there was any paramaterisation or anything else in the collection that deviates from an absolutely basic collection.

What version of readyapi! are you using?
    What version of postman?
    What version of the postman plugin?

At the worst, you could try and strip out all the variable content from the collection maybe....or, you could try converting your collection to openAPI format and try loading that in, instead.

Ta

Rich
      jlivingston
      New Contributor

Hi richie ,

Thank you for your response. I still couldn't find out why it throws nullpointer exception when I try to import a collection from Postman link.
      When I need to import from Postman, I export as a file and then import to readyApi. However, I really would like to solve why it doesn't work when I use link.

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey jlivingston,

I get what youre saying...its annoying not knowing the reason.
        I think the only way youd be able to nail this down is to do a bit of research to determine what version of postman is supported by the readyapi! plugin and then look at any release notes to try and get an understanding of what is supported.
        Along with this you could try identifying all the variances from a simple collection that are contained within the collection you want to import (e.g. parameterisation, use of global variables, javascript assertions, etc.) and then create a single collection for each of these additional extras to work out which function could be the problem. Trial and error....call it experimental testing!

Reason why im saying this is a couple of years ago, if the collection included host or rest parms the import would fail.

Nice one,

Rich