Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

Out of Memory Error

Hello,
I find that soapUI will typically give 'Out of Memory' Error when running a long load test (12+ hours). I have tried increasing the interval from 250 to 2500 but that did not help.

Will checking off 'Disable History' help ? Cause checking off this option disables 'sample interval'

Also,
Is there any way to recover from a 'Out of Memory' Error. I would still like to see what has been collected so far.

Thanks

Ali

7 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

hmm.. what are your memory settings in the .bat file?

Yes, "Disable History" should help, but it will disable the diagrams as well..

This is one of the issues we want to address with the outlined improvements, which would for example allow you to write statistics to a file for long-running tests..

Recovering from an outofmemory is usually difficult.. do you have a stack-trace I can look at from when you got the error?

Sorry for the inconvenience...

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    So my loadGen servers are on a virtualized machine. on windows its says memory is 2GB. I tried to change the soapui.bat memory settings to your 2GB recommended settings
    set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms768m -Xmx1500m

but then soapUI does not start. I get the following error

C:\Program Files\eviware\soapUI-Pro-SNAPSHOT\bin>soapui-pro.bat
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.
    C:\Program Files\eviware\soapUI-Pro-SNAPSHOT\bin>
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

hm.. you'll have to decrease the mx value until you find the highest possible limit..

I wonder what is filling up your memory though.. are you getting alot of loadtest assertion errors? How many requests have typically been made before you get the error?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Yes... there are quite a few assertions that are hit during this load test. One of the test was exceeding 60,000 assertions.

If I do the same test using the new command line launcher, do you think I will still see this issue ?

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

ok.. then that is probably whats filling up memory, soapUI saves the underlying messages for later review..

as you suggest, maybe this could be worked around with the command-line runner, I'll check it out and will get back to you..

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi again,

you'll run into the same problem with the command-line runner.. just a little later (since it doesn't have the memory overhead of the ui..)

One option could be to add an "Export Errors to Folder" setting to the LoadTest options; a folder to which all errors' contents would be written and then discarded, this would probably preserve a lot of memory (but not all, since the actual LoadTest Log Error Entry would still be there..) how does that sound?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    There are a couple of thing which would be useful.
    1. Export error to folders sounds good.

2. If you export all the errors to a folder why do you still need the loadTestLog. Can't the log be disabled to preserve memory?

3. When I export the error log, it writes all the assertions to a text file. If the assertions had a name tied to it (e.g LoginStatus) then I can do a word count to see how many of LoginStatus assertions were hit in the load test. At the moment I have to sift through the assertion log to figure out how many of each assertion were encountered.

4. I am seeing some wierd behavior with thread strategy. I will write an entry in the support section for this.

Ali