Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

JAVA Heap issues

guys,
This new version 1.7.1 seems to be a lot more unstable compared to 1.7. I get a lot more JAVA heap out of memory etc errors now. The really bad part is that I end up loosing all my work. Is there any way you can have an option for 'auto-save' every 'x seconds' which can be enabled / disabled in the preferences.

I would say this feature would be of high priority to me because loosing my work is really counter productive.

- Ali

5 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

that's really bad news, one of the main points with 1.7.1 was supposed to be improved memory management.. do you get these heap-issues at any specific situations? Have you increased the memory settings in soapui.bat? You should get some stack-traces in the console window, can you possibly forward these?

really sorry for the inconvenience.. you should be able to back down to 1.7 unless you needed some of the improvements/fixes..

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Ole,
    Can you elaborate on how to increase the memory settings.

I do like the new features in 1.7.1. Crashing is not a big a problem but loosing work definitely is. As this crashing issue can also be seen in 1.7, 'auto-save' would be very helpful.

- Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

depending on how much memory you have in your machine and how you use soapUI you could try to increase the settings in soapui.bat.. change the line

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms128m -Xmx256m

to

for 1GB ram : set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms256m -Xmx768m
    for 2GB ram : set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms768m -Xmx1500m
    for 3GB ram : set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms1024m -Xmx2500m

if you also run a lot of groovy scripts in load-tests you could add the following to the end of the line:

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

or maybe

-XX:MaxPermSize=192m

Hopefully this helps, but it would be really good to know if there are any specific situations that seem to trigger this "behaviour".. and to see any strack-traces from the console window

Finally, it the problems persist, you could add the option

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

to the above line, which will dump the heap to a log file when this happens, which you could mail to us..

I'll look at the autosave feature over the weekend!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Ole,

do I enter

"-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

or
    "XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

to soapUI.bat to dump the heap.
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

it should be with a leading "-", ie

"-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

I've been running memory/thread-profiling tests all weekend and have fixed a number of issues including the one which would slow down soapUI over time. It would still be great if you could give us some info on how you are mostly using soapUI Pro, when you get the OutOfMemory Errors, your memory settings, etc..

anyway, we will release a 1.7.2 later this week.

kind regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com