Forum Discussion

kenm
Contributor
7 years ago

Is it possible to rename the filename under a testcase in a composite project natively through SoapU

I use composite projects by default.

I have noted that SoapUI NG Pro creates each testcase XML filename using its own logic based upon the testcase name. At present I don't see a means through SoapUI to change that filename (on disk) through SoapUI NG Pro itself. It is possible to rename them directly on disk however it also necessitates changing the internal filename attribute in the testcase XML file itself.

This is error prone and causes issues.... for example the first time I simply renamed the file name itself, when I re-imported the composite project and saved again I now had a duplicated testcase because it saved again under the original filename along with the file I renamed.

I would propose, for composite projects, that the rename operation is changed to a small dialogue with two inputs - testcase name, testcase filename where you can independently alter either value and SoapUI handles the renaming on disk and in its own proprietary XML files.

Thank you in advance.

Ken.

2 Replies

Radford
    Super Contributor

While not specifically the same scenario as you describe, I have found sometimes the composite project file structure is not quite what I would expect after project modifications. In these cases I convert back to non-composite, save (also then deleting the old composite folder structure) and they re-convert back to composite again. I know this is just a work around and not ideal, but it usually sorts things out.

kenm
    Contributor

Good morning all,

One workaround I've identified for this issue is to clone the original TESTCASE or TESTSUITE and enter a shorter name for the clone. The file/folder name on disk will be based upon the name that is first entered. You then have the shorter filename/foldername on disk and can rename it to a longer/more descriptive name if you wish without altering the name on disk.

Hope it helps someone else out.

Ken.