Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

Import Testcase / Test Step

Hello,
We find that many times we can cut down on our QA scripting time if we can reuse other peoples soapUI resources. For instance, I have one QA working on the 'Create Profile' script which create a random user. I have another QA working on 'Login User'. Login user test case would ideally need to call 'create user' first and then call 'login user'.

It would be nice to create 're-usable' test suites / test cases / test steps that one can import from another project.

Thanks

ALi

3 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

yes, we have a bunch of feature requests in the line of this. In this specific case, are you handling all TestCases/TestSuites in the same soapUI Project or in different ones?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    They are usually in different projects. Within the same project, I can just use cloning. It would be really helpful if I could save my testSuite/TestCase/TestStep as an exportable testSuite/TestCase/TestStep. That way someone can import specific items into their own project.
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

ok.. thanks for your feedback. Our idea for this has initially been a "Run TestCase" teststep that could be used to invoke both internal and external TestCases. There are some twists to this that make it a bit tricky;
    - UI updates; how should the UI behave when launching an external TestCase if you for example open that TestCases editor while it is running (I know its a bit far-fetched but it still needs to be handled..)
    - LoadTesting; soapUI now creates internal copies of a TestCase for each running thread. This behaviour would have to propagate to referred TestSuites/TestCases as well. Also, how should referred TestCases be presented in the LoadTest Statistics Table/Diagrams? As one step or "expanded" as all contained steps?
    - etc..

We'll have to ponder a bit.. one way to move forward is to dissallow LoadTesting for TestCases containing these kind of steps..

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com