cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to grab some cookies for later use....

SOLVED
Highlighted
Community Hero

I need to grab some cookies for later use....

Hi,

This new thing I'm testing has some new OAuth security and the first thing I need to do is grab some cookies from the request.

I've never done this before - I know - weird - right?

Anyway - I have a blank payload but plenty of headers

There are 4 headers entitled Set-Cookie and each of these 4 'Set-Cookie' headers have different values - please see screenshot below

Spoiler
cookie.PNG

Typically if I need to capture header values for later use - I have a bit of groovy to do this (as follows:)

//Takes one of the elements of the response Header
def value = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["REST Request)"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["headername"]

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the header value into the Properties test step
def groovyUtils = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
groovyUtils.setPropertyValue("Properties", "headername",value[0])

HOWEVER - the above is never going to work - I need to capture each of the 4 'Set-Cookie' values and they each have the same name?!??!

Can anyone please advise how I can grab these cookies?

Many thanks!

richie

zx

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: I need to grab some cookies for later use....

That was just for my testing -- you would just replace that with:

testRunner.testCase.testSteps["GET Cookies"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["Set-Cookie"]

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Community Hero

Hi,

My bad - I found a post by @nmrao  from way back answering this (link) - I'm trying to tailor the script accordingly to exactly what I need -  so please don't anyone waste any time looking at this - I "might" be able to sort myself out - I'll come back with either questions or to close off the ticket.

ta,

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
Highlighted

Thanks for sharing the link, @richie !
We are looking forward to your updates.

Olga Terentieva
SmartBear Assistant Community Manager

Highlighted
Contributor

You may have already figured it out, but it looks like each value has a unique identifier you could use. If you need to reference each one by name, you could do something like this:

def headers = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["REST Request)"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders

headers.each {
if (it.getKey() == 'Set-Cookie') { // assuming this is a map
def valueParts = it.getValue().split('=') // Split the value on the equals
testRunner.testCase.setPropertyValue(valueParts[0], it.getValue())
}
}

// This would get you the following test case properties:
testCase.getPropertyValue('returnurl') // returnurl=9d97d277ed656a2...
testCase.getPropertyValue('authtype') // authtype=72b76f4f5cf...
testCase.getPropertyValue('state') // state=81ef1f0ff48fcd...
testCase.getPropertyValue('nonce') // nonce=7511a89aaacda...

Or, if you just need them all and don't need to reference each one by name, you could just throw them in a list:

import groovy.json.*

def headers = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["REST Request)"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders def cookieList = [] headers.each { if (it.getKey() == 'Set-Cookie') { // assuming this is a map cookieList.add(it.getValue()) } }

// This would get you: ["returnurl=9d97d277ed656a2", "authtype=72b76f4f5cf", "state=81ef1f0ff48fcd", "nonce=7511a89aaacda"]

// Store as test case property -- can only store String, that's why we serialize the List to JSON
testRunner.testCase.setPropertyValue("cookieList", new JsonBuilder(cookieList).toString())

// To use in another Groovy script
String cookieListStr = testRunner.testCase.getPropertyValue("cookieList")
def cookieList = new JsonSlurper().parseText(cookieListStr) // Deserialize JSON back into a List

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hey @JustinM89 

I got stuck on something else - but I'm circling back to this tomorrow - so I'll be looking at it then - thanks so much for your help - its far more than I would've expected!

cheers,

richie

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hi,

I haven't forgotten about this - I'm still working on this and other things, so cant close off the ticket as yet,

cheers,

richie

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hi,

I tried all the scripts provided but I found a couple of problems with a couple of them - I managed to fix all but the last one - but the I'm a bit stuck on the code that writes out the cookies to the Properties step

the script for saving the 'Set-Cookie' values to the Properties step is as below:

import groovy.json.*

def headers = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["REST Request"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders

headers.each {
    }
}

// This would get you the following test case properties:
testCase.getPropertyValue('returnurl') // returnurl=9d97d277ed656a2...
testCase.getPropertyValue('authtype') // authtype=72b76f4f5cf...
testCase.getPropertyValue('state') // state=81ef1f0ff48fcd...
testCase.getPropertyValue('nonce') // nonce=7511a89aaacda...

HOWEVER - this returned the following error 

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.util.ArrayList.split() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [=] Possible solutions: split(groovy.lang.Closure), split(groovy.lang.Closure), split(groovy.lang.Closure), wait(), init(), init() error at line: 5

so I think there's either a missing closing bracket (even though it looks fine to me - or perhaps its the wrong type (string to list???) 

I'm sorry - I just have no idea how to handle this - can anyone advise?

I did get the other scripts working including @nmrao's to grab the cookies and pass directly onto another step - but I've been told I might need to save the cookies off for other use - so I really need to park the cookies into a Properties step if possible?

Grateful for all and any help as always! 🙂

Cheers,

richie

as

Highlighted
Contributor

in this line:

I assumed that it.getValue() would return a String, but it appears to be returning an ArrayList. I would just log that thing (log.info it.getValue()) to see exactly what's in there

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hey @JustinM89 

I tried as you said - i.e. tried logging the it.getValue() - but the runtime array warning launched before the logging executed - I commented out the one line and tried as below

headers.each {
//           def valueParts = it.getValue().split('=') // Split the value on the equals     

log.info (it.getValue())

}
}

and the returned value were the 4 setcookie values in a comma separated Arraylist as follows:

Tue Jun 18 22:32:20 BST 2019: INFO: [returnurl=41c9c733b4b7ae87cebea0077307969d0b2b6dbe00e140f51d72451b6128c9eb2bc9cefbd881a83d9784c9fe99345c0875a521b73e23c8739ee54ccfa84265c4f0fdaac6b6b55cfc944efd1c07f615d4-870dc80d4da43c6f; Max-Age=3600; Expires=Tue, 18-Jun-2019 22:27:50 GMT; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, authtype=61da3a97b24f98368adaef05552f37c3304467f5d2c02d740b244e0d8623d0a1-67c8bfd955a10235; Max-Age=3600; Expires=Tue, 18-Jun-2019 22:27:50 GMT; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, state=4128c393917003b9f7a110723aa1a436bfcb4b60f3af5ead5dec55da0cfa5005f9236299dc7294de335ce5906c30805c7f5d236a58899559d67e82262981348a-dfb8e5192d506a03; Max-Age=3600; Expires=Tue, 18-Jun-2019 22:27:50 GMT; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, nonce=80989400c4004d4975a29077c7914e75b9ccc2d65408b8aae968f87bce4faf4b-3fbe6f333efd76e3; Max-Age=3600; Expires=Tue, 18-Jun-2019 22:27:50 GMT; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly]

I sorry - I dont know how to proceed to change the type from list to string - I'm guessing you might throw in a .toString() operator....but that's all my tiny brain can manage..... 🙂

I did try altering the code to 

def headers = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["GET Cookies"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders

headers.each {
//           def valueParts = it.getValue().split('=') // Split the value on the equals     

def valueParts = (it.getValue()).toString().split('=') //I commented out the above line and replaced it with this one
log.info (valueParts) testRunner.testCase.setPropertyValue(valueParts[0], it.getValue()) } } //def (name, value) = cookies.toString().split('=',2) // This would get you the following test case properties: testCase.getPropertyValue('returnurl') // returnurl=9d97d277ed656a2... testCase.getPropertyValue('authtype') // authtype=72b76f4f5cf... testCase.getPropertyValue('state') // state=81ef1f0ff48fcd... testCase.getPropertyValue('nonce') // nonce=7511a89aaacda...

but I got the following response:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlTestCasePro.setPropertyValue() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.util.ArrayList) values: [[returnurl, [returnurl=881d9208ca983dcf9a2cc1971d02a8465eefd47cccdeafb751826e947204b8626f505fa6cf1e06dd9f9ceed91a8f0390dfbdf4077b308be6eb91306b6620ad2fd92d06c68387cddcc87a19c9909218dc-87b5428103f85588; Max-Age=3600; Expires=Tue, 18-Jun-2019 22:58:30 GMT; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, ...]] Possible solutions: setPropertyValue(java.lang.String, java.lang.String), getPropertyValue(java.lang.String) error at line: 5

indicating quite conclusively that Im not a groovy developer 🙂

As always - any help is mightily appreciated

Thanks guys,

rich

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hi,

As everyone can tell I'm not a groovy coder - but if altering the script from my previous messages on this topic appears to be a problem - I have an idea to get around it - i dont know if its possible or not?

the following script is one that I typically use to grab header values.........in this instance, it grabs the first 'Set-Cookie' value (out of the 4 'Set-Cookie' headers) and stores it in the Properties step.

//Takes one of the elements of the response Header
def value = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["GET Cookies"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["Set-Cookie"]

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the header value into the Properties test step
def groovyUtils = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
groovyUtils.setPropertyValue("Properties", "Set-Cookie",value[0])

Is there any way to alter the above code so rather than using the 'it' method and some other methods I dont really know how to use - would it be easier to have 4 instances of the 'takes the element from header' and 4 instances of the 'read this value into parameter', but altering the value capture by getting it to search the 'Set-Cookie' value  for a specific string and writing out that value to a separate property?

What I mean by this (and this isn't even pseudo code) is something like the following:

//Takes the returnurl 'Set-Cookie' value of the response Header
def returnurlvalue = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["Request"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["Set-Cookie"] //and some code here equating to a filter where value begins 'returnurl='

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the returnurl header value into the Properties test step
def groovyUtils1 = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
groovyUtils1.setPropertyValue("Properties", "Set-Cookie_returnurl",returnurlvalue[0])

//Takes the authtype'Set-Cookie' value of the response Header
def authtypevalue = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["Request"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["Set-Cookie"] //and code equating to a filter where value begins 'authtype='

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the authtype header value into the Properties test step
def groovyUtils2 = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
groovyUtils2.setPropertyValue("Properties", "Set-Cookie_authtype", authtypevalue[0])

//Takes the state 'Set-Cookie' value of the response Header
def statevalue = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["Request"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["Set-Cookie"] //and code equating to a filter where value begins 'state='

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the state header value into the Properties test step
def groovyUtils3 = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
groovyUtils3.setPropertyValue("Properties", "Set-Cookie_state", statevalue[0])

//Takes the nonce 'Set-Cookie' value of the response Header
def noncevalue = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["Request"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["Set-Cookie"] //and code equating to a filter where value begins 'nonce='
//Read this value into a parameter - writes the nonce header value into the Properties test step
def groovyUtils4 = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
groovyUtils4.setPropertyValue("Properties", "Set-Cookie_nonce",noncevalue[0])

I know it's not pretty or efficient but would it be possible and perhaps easier?

Would anyone know how to add a filter so that when the header attribute value is grabbed - rather than just grabbing the specific header value, the search is filtered (like I've tried to represent above) so that 'Set-Cookie' is captured where value begins 'whatever='?

I know I'm just pulling this out of nowhere here, trying to think of anything that will handle this - out of 500 people that work here - no one knows groovy so they cant help me!

Thanks again,

richie

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors