Forum Discussion

SahajP
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

How to extract JSON data from external file as Datasource via Ready API?

I want to get data via JSON external file as datasource. So can someone help me here how can i get it? Is there any possibility that we can put JSON script in excel cell & extract via Ready API & us...
    6 years ago

Hi,

It's probably possible to grab .json from individual cells/rows in a spreadsheet but why would you want to?

I have lots of tests where I have individual test data saved in .json files (each file corresponds to a test/request) - I use the 'directory' datasource option. 

This allows you to pass the whole file contents to a single property to then POST the filecontents via the property in a subsequent SOAP/REST request.

This option enables me to loop through multiple files (multiple files in a single directory) or just a single file in a single directory for a non-looped execution run.

So  a simple test case hierarchy is as follows:

Datasource (directorytype) - fileContents property created (multiple .json files in directory)
    POST (${DataSource#fileContents}) <-- property specified in request body sources the fileContents property
    DatasourceLoop (loops back round to the next file in the directory - repeats until all files in directory have been processed

You can also paste the .json content into the body of your POST/PUT/PATCH requests  - however this doesn't lend itself to looping test cases and also I find makes updating the testdata more difficult.

Sure the other users will have lots of other options for this - but this tends to be my goto approach.  

Cheers,

richie