Forum Discussion

Hellotest
Contributor
5 years ago

How to Tie test case in VSTS to SOAP UI Pro

I have test case# in VSTS.

Once I automate test case scenario in SOAP UI Pro , how to do we mark it as Automated in VSTS.

I could not find much documentation around it. Please suggest 

7 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hi Hellotest,

Im responding cos no one else has yet, but im unsure if i can help too much although this might help steer you in the right direction. Have you has a good look through the documentation? The reason i ask is that typically a lot of tools that support automatic update of tests to reflect your test results in ReadyAPI!/SoapUI are done by exposing an API (within the testmanagement tool) that you post to as the last step in each test case in ReadyAPI! This is the mechanism to ensure the results are updated in your test management tool via ReadyAPI!/SoapUI etc.
    Ive had a look at this sort of thing in other test management tools and tools that support testmanagement; id suggest if noone else has any good ideas that you search the VSTS support documentation to see if anything like an API for test update is mentioned.

Hope this helps a little,

Rich
      Hellotest
      Contributor

I have been using visual studio to build my automated tests .

In Visual studio there is Test Explorer where we can search for automated test and provide test case number of VSTS. Upon save , the automated status in VSTS is turned to Yes.

So as we are moving to SOAP UI Pro I was looking if we have any similar functionalty here that would be very helpfull.

richie
        Community Hero
        Hi Hellotest,

But in the example you state, VSTS's test explorer lists the test case files that youve created previously in VSTS (probably front end auto tests, right?). These arent placeholders these are test case files themselves meaning you dont require interaction with anything else except VSTS to run them. Whereas ReadyAPI! does its own test management....the test cases are created within objects, in files (either flat or composite) that are accessible via ReadyAPI!.

The ReadyAPI! project is saved in .xml so perhaps its possible to actually save and create test cases to the ReadyAPI! project file within another tool, but this raises the questions why bother? By using the ReadyAPI! functionality you are creating/updating the underlying .xml project file. You could do this in some other tool, but repeated updates of the .xml file without the restrictions/controls ReadyAPI! uses to edit its own project file would i suspect generate malformed .xml quite easily.

Ive never known anyone update a soapui project file in a headless environment...doesnt this equate to your idea? Or am i misunderstanding?

Cheers

Rich