Forum Discussion

Mason
Frequent Contributor
15 years ago

Form not updating XML in request

I've noticed some inconsistencies with regards to plugging values in the form in SoapUI and it actually updating the XML underneath.  In the screenshot I have attached, you will see that I'm requesting a set of items from the service.  There are four "Groups" in this request however, as you can see, it's not returning the set properly.  So if I ask for 1 record, starting at the first record, it may work.  When I update the form to return 1 record starting at index 2 (3rd item), it's not returning the correct result set.  I noticed the reason for this is because the actual XML request being sent was not updated with the parameters I provided in the form.  Deleting and re-adding the component in question "fixes" this but invariably, eventually, the form "loses connection" with the XML data. 

Is this a bug or is there something we're not getting about updating the XML?  What I do is, set the focus in the field, delete the value by selecting it with my mouse and hitting the delete key, then typing in a new value, then I've tried any one of the following to "save" the current state of the form:  1)  hit the tab key 2) hit the enter key or 3) click on the validate button.  Neither of these three "methods" to get the change to persist seems to work after SoapUI "loses connection" between the form and the XML.

Once SoapUI gets in this state, there doesn't seem to be a way to correct it other than deleting the component from the form, then re-adding.  That's acceptable given the small amount of data required in this instance but if there is a node level that has many values in it (in our case, contact data has a couple dozen fields (firstName, middleName, lastName, Address1, etc.), this gets to be a significant inconvenience.

So, what is the correct way to update the form such that the XML actually gets updated prior to sending the request?

4 Replies

Mason
    Frequent Contributor
    Forgot to add that I'm using the SoapUI nightly build from May 18th.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Mason,

this obviously sounds like a bug, you shouldn't be required to do anything but enter your desired value before sending the request. There was actually some work done on this issue in the last days so you might try the latest nightly build just to be sure. Meanwhile I'll try to reproduce this..

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Mason
    Frequent Contributor
    I looked in the changelog from the 18th forward and didn't notice anything that seemed to be related to the form.  I'm hesitant to try a new build unless you can point to a change since the 18th that you think would address this.  Can you provide any advice there?
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Mason,

ok.. well.. I can't reproduce this currently; I have a simple form with a number of different fields which I submit to a local mockservice; in the HTTP log i see that my typed changes are sent ok without me doing anything but actually typing them and pressing the submit button..

I've attached the project if been using, maybe you could try to see if it works ok for you too (the RPCEditorTestBinding/simpleTypes request), which would mean that the error is somehow related to your wsdl/schema!?

Let me know!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com