Forum Discussion

JeffreyNicholas
New Contributor
7 years ago

Error trying to Update Definition in Ready! API 1.8.5

I am running Ready! API version 1.8.5 and I have 2 Projects loaded, called different names.  They have the same EndpointBinding and associated services underneath that.  When I try to "Update Definition" on one of the Projects, I get the following error ->  Failed to update the interface: [java.lang.Exception: java.lang.Exception: com.eviware.soapui.impl.support.definition.support.InvalidDefinitionException]

When trying to do the same "Update Definition" for the second Project, it works just fine.  I saw one post having to do with this, that indicated to add the following line -> -Dfile.encoding=UTF8, to the ReadyAPI-1.8.5.vmoptions file in the bin folder... saved it and restarted Ready! API and I am still getting the error.

Any help on suggestions that I could try to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I do not want to loose any information for any potential fix as I have Assertions that I don't want to have to recreate.  I have posted some pictures indicating the sequence of events... Capture1 thru Capture5.

Thoughts/help/suggestions/anything at this point...

Sincerely Jeff Lewis

4 Replies

Radford
    Super Contributor

I'm not sure if this is relavent in your case, but in a totally different scenario I was getting a strange InvalidDefinitionException. It turns out that the functionality that adds/updates WSDL always assumes a HTTP 200 OK response and that the reply contents is a WSDLdocument, thus if ever some other response is returned e.g. HTTP 401 Unauthorised, the add/update functionality ignores it and tries to process the associated reply contents as WSDL when it is not, hence the unexpected InvalidDefinitionException. This issue was reproduced by SmartBear support and logged as defect number SOAP-5946.

Try looking at the HTTP log to see if it gives you any clues.

groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

It might be worth checking the wsdl file too if you can. I've ran into this if there were syntax errors in the xml of the wsdl file. 

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Hmm. looks quite strange.
    1. Are those project initially created using the same wsdl?
    2. Have you tried comparing the two projects?
      groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

I've ran into something similar and one of the projects had bad XML that was tripping up the update for some reason.