cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing a .json property value (adding in json escape \ chars to property value)?

Highlighted
Community Hero

Editing a .json property value (adding in json escape \ chars to property value)?

Hi,

I have a REST GET request that returns the following .json from the CRM (below .json is for 1 record - the GET retrieves multiple records)

{
	"@odata.type": "#Microsoft.Dynamics.CRM.whatever",
	"@odata.id": "https://XXXX.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.2/whatever(a038fae4-ef43-e811-811f-5065f38b03d1)",
	"@odata.etag": "W/"3859692"",
	"@odata.editLink": "whatever(a038fae4-ef43-e811-811f-5065f38b03d1)",
	"activityid@odata.type": "#Guid",
	"activityid": "a038fae4-ef43-e811-811f-5065f38b03d1"
}

Now I need to grab the attribute values and submit them in a subsequent POST request via a property transfer - I have a property created for each .json attribute.

The problem is the "@odata.etag" value.  I need to alter thee value because it has double quote characters (e.g. ") in the value - so I need to escape the double quote chars using a \ symbol

So "W/"3859692"" needs to be altered to "W/\"3859692\"" 

I'm at a bit of a loss how to do this - the value is currently stored in a property as "W/"3859692"" - I just have no idea how I'd go about inserting the escape characters into the property value.

Any ideas?

As always - thanks to all for any advice, guidance, tips, help that anyone can give me!

Cheers,

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
1 REPLY 1
Community Hero

Re: Editing a .json property value (adding in json escape \ chars to property value)?

Hey!

Ok- I've been playing with a script I had before for replacing CDATA handler tags from an XML response - I thought I'd be able to use this but I'm struggling - my script is as follows at the moment (I'm using the jsonSlurper cos I'm struggling with the jsonUtil at moment - if I can get it to work with the jsonSlurper on v2.2.0 - I'll then get it working with the jsonUtil on v2.3.0)  

Anyway - please see below:

import net.sf.json.groovy.*
import groovy.json.JsonSlurper

//grab the @odata.etag0 property
def Jresponse = context.expand( '${Properties 1#@odata.etag0}' )

//parse the Jresponse variable which contains the @odata.etag0 property
def json = new JsonSlurper().parseText Jresponse

// Insert the escape chars ('\') into the Properties value
response = Jresponse.replaceAll( "W/"", "W/\"" )
response = Jresponse.replaceAll( """", "\""" ) <<---struggling here

Now as stated in my first post - the value saved to the property is W/"123456" - I need to alter this property value to W/\"123456\"

I can insert the \ escape character after the / character - but I don't know the approach i should use to insert a \ before the last double quote (") - there's nothing unique for me to do a find a replace against to insert the \ escape char before the final double quote.

The original property value will always be in the format W/"nnnnnn" (where n = integer) - so I was wondering if there was some sort of substring function that could allow me to count and insert a \ char after the 9th char but before the 10th char?

I'm not a coder - but I'm really enjoying playing with groovy at the moment!

Anyway - I'd welcome any thought anyones has in regards to inserts the final \ escape character

Cheers,

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors