Forum Discussion

16 years ago

ESX - LabManager

My company is using a VMware (labmanager) environment to host the Web Services application.  The virtual When I put in the URL to the WSDL from the VMware environment in SoapUI.  The SoapUI environment just hangs trying to retrieve the web service calls in the WSDL.  I've tried using SoapUI with a non-VMWare environment with the same application, and SoapUI works fine.  I can access the Web Service application on the VMware environment normally, it just doesn't work with SoapUI.

Are there any settings I should check with LabManager or is SoapUI not compatible with VMware?  Thanks

1 Reply

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Matthew,

VMware is a virtualization software that makes it possible to have several operating systems running on a single machine. I've just looked up if there's anything specific about VMware ESX and the trick with it is that it runs in hostless mode, i.e. it does not use an underlying operating system. This is different to hosted mode in which another VMware product, GSX, runs on top of host OS - Linux or Windows.

As you can see in the Wikipedia page secion about VMware core design, VMware software virtualizes different aspects of machine it runs on and it includes network adapter and network connections created on top of it.

Digging deeper into ESX LabManager feature list I can tell that network works in the same manner.

My recommendation is that you first check your network connection inside your ESX LabManager instance and make sure it works prior to running soapUI and adding a WSDL. One of the most popular and simplest ways to do this is to run a command line and run:

ping www.google.com

If Google servers reply to your ping requests, then you can try to access the WSDL from a web browser by copy-pasting its URL.

Please let us know if this has helped.

Cheers!
    /Nenad Nikolic a.k.a. Shonzilla