Forum Discussion

khanchett
Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

ERROR: org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.DomImpl$InvalidCharacterError: Name has an invalid character

I updated from ReadyAPI 3.3.0 to 3.3.1.  I have a rather large Groovy script that runs perfectly fine up to version 3.3.0, but when I updated to 3.3.1 I am not getting the error in the subject line.  I'm not sure what the name is referring to and I'm really not clear on what the issue is with my once working code. 

For the moment I will remain in 3.3.0, I really hope someone out there can help me resolve what is going on so I can update to the 3.3.1 version.  This is a very critical part of our testing routine, so I must get this to work again in the 3.3.1 version.

I've attached the error log file along with a text version of my Groovy script.  Please let me know if anything else is needed to help find out what the issue is.  I've scoured the internet, I'm not that fluent with this 

• So with some help from the support team I was able to find out what happened.  Looks like Groovy deprecated the groovy.xml.QName class.  I switched my import to pull groovy.namespace.QName and everything worked without me having to change my code at all.

Hope this gives someone some help going through the same thing.  I'm considering this as my solution to the problem I had.

4 Replies

• Update to this issue I'm having.  I looked through the files that changed from 3.3.0 to 3.3.1 and found the groovy library files in the C:\Program Files\SmartBear\ReadyAPI...\lib folder changed. 

In version 3.3.0 there is only one groovy file that I saw where in 3.3.1 there is a whole new batch of groovy*.jar files.  So I figured this is where my issue is coming from.  So here is what I did:

3.3.0 groovy file: groovy-all-2.4.17.jar

3.3.1 groovy file:  groovy-all-3.0.0.jar

1. I renamed the 3.3.1 to groovy-all-3.0.0.jar.bu

2. Copied over the groovy-all-2.4.17.jar from 3.3.0 directory to the 3.3.1 directory

3. Rebooted 3.3.1 ReadyAPI

4. Reran my Groovy script that had the error and it didn't error anymore.

Now this isn't a solution, this just helps point out the problem I'm having a little more.  So my question is this:

Is this a bug in the groovy framework?

or

Is there a change I need to make to my existing groovy script to get DOMCategory to work as expected?

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help, this is a big issue for us.

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi khanchett, I found your ticket (00446772) with our support team - please keep investigating the issue with them. This looks like it requires deeper investigation. Thank you. 

khanchett
        Contributor

So with some help from the support team I was able to find out what happened.  Looks like Groovy deprecated the groovy.xml.QName class.  I switched my import to pull groovy.namespace.QName and everything worked without me having to change my code at all.

Hope this gives someone some help going through the same thing.  I'm considering this as my solution to the problem I had.