Forum Discussion

Mason
Frequent Contributor
15 years ago

Composite projects - changes not being saved or are being erased.

We have a composite project setup with 4 people working in it.  Each of the 4 persons has a TestSuite assigned to them.  It was our understanding, according to the documentation, that changes made at the TestSuite level are localized.  Meaning, as long as I only make changes in one TestSuite and then save my project, it should not affect any other TestSuites.  We are finding this not to be the case.

I have heard from all four people working on the project that changes they are making are a) not getting saved or b) their changes are getting wiped out.

I just got through watching a team member make some changes to three test case steps.  He then right-clicked on the project and selected "Save Project CTRL-S".  He closed SoapUI then reopened it.  The changes he made did not save.  Shortly thereafter, I went to my PC, made some changes to some assertions (in a different TestSuite mind you), then right-clicked, save project.  Here were the log entries that alarmed me:

15:35:51,618 INFO  [SplitProject] Saving TestCase : 100 - Setup TestCase
15:35:51,618 INFO  [SplitProject] Saving TestCase : 101 - RVL Get Listing
15:35:51,634 INFO  [SplitProject] Saving TestCase : 102 - RVL Create Contact
15:35:51,650 INFO  [SplitProject] Saving TestCase : 103 - RVL Search Listings
15:35:51,665 INFO  [SplitProject] Saving TestCase : 101 - RVL Add Listing

Those are the aforementioned teammate's test cases.  This doesn't make any sense at all.  I didn't make any changes to those test cases.  I didn't even expand the treeview for the suite to even see those cases.  Why did my instance of SoapUI think there were changes when there were none?

Let me stress the importance here:  we have lost hours of time due to this implementation of "composite projects".  Either composite project features has several major defects or we simply do not understand the concept.

Let me stress another point:  The "composite projects" feature was the main reason why we went with SoapUI and purchased 9 licenses in the first place.  You'll have to forgive our disappointment at this time.

And before we are asked, no, we are not able to provide the WSDLs or our project.  As much as I would like to provide this information, I am not legally able to do so.  I am bound by an NDA and it would be considered a "terminating offense".

So the purpose of this post is to have the following questions answered. 

Is the way we are using the product correct?  Are our assumptions about working in separate TestSuites correct? 

How are users supposed to save their work without wiping out other peoples changes?

This is very important that we have this resolved as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Mason

5 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Mason,

of course we need to resolve this; there are fixes in this regard in the nightly-build, can you please try using that version instead? (or are you already using it?)

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Mason
    Frequent Contributor
    Currently, I'm the only that has the latest nightly build (05-18-2009) - all of the other team members have the release of 2.5.1 from February 2009.  I have requested the other team members to update to the version I have.  We will continue to monitor and let you know if there are any improvements or if we are still observing the inconsistencies documented previously.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi Mason,

ok.. please keep us posted on this and your other issues, we really don't want your experience to be such a disappointment as it seems to be. The nightly-build does have a fix that will save only updated items, so it might be what you are experiencing. Also, please consider mailing directly to support@eviware.com for direct contact.

best regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Mason
    Frequent Contributor
    Everyone is on the 05/18 build but I still see messages in the log indicating certain test cases that I did not modify are being saved.

Part of my original question was how are users supposed to save their work? At what level?  And with what command?  For example, what is the Composite Action -> Save Test Case for?  Is this how people within a composite project are supposed to save their work?  Or is a user supposed to be able to right-click on the project and then click "Save Project" and SoapUI determines what aspects of the project were modified and only saves those changes?  There are no log messages when performing the Composite Action - > Save Test Case.  So I'm not sure what that does, if anything.

The documentation doesn't really explain "how" multiple users are supposed to behave within a composite project.  If Eviware could elaborate on that, I think it would be most helpful in troubleshooting these inconsistencies.  We, as users, may very well be doing something the product is allowing us to do but is not intended.

Also, I'm curious as to why there is not a "Save Suite" Composite Action?  Having to save all of the test cases in a suite can get a bit time-consuming.

Thanks.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi Mason,

thanks for posting, you're right that the documentation could be better here.. we'll try to improve on it over the coming days. The general idea is the following:

1) Save Project should be sufficient, soapUI Pro should only save those items that have actually changed. If you are seeing this is not the case can you diff the (incorrectly) saved files to see if there has in fact been something changed "under the hood"? Or are they exactly the same as the previous version

2) The "Save TestCase" is a way to save specific TestCases if you know they have been changed, without saving other changes that may have been done in the project.. thinking of it, it is kind of superfluous.. hmm..

The way you are supposed to work on composite projects in a team is:

1) Set the project to composite, save it and commit the saved folder structure to some SCM
    2) Work on the project and save it when changes have been made, soapUI Pro should only save those files that have actually been changed internally, commit these to your SCM
    3) If you update from an SCM, use the "Refresh Composite Project" option on the project menu to bring you project in soapUI into sync with the updated files

Does that make ok sense?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com