Forum Discussion

larreising
New Contributor
6 years ago

Can a test project created with PRO version be able to run test from the open source version?

I'm planning to create a project using soapui Pro and would like other developers the ability to run tests and not needing me to always run them. 

6 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hi,

it depends on whether you use the functionality available in the pro version or not. if you dont use any of the functionality that is available only in the pro version then it should work fine (although id try with similar versions of readayapi!/soapui pro/soapui free) to be sure.

richie
    nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    In that case, have the pro software installed on a shared desktop / machine so that it has access to them.

Or have a floating license of ReadyAPI so that one of you can use it at a time with a single license.
    larreising
    New Contributor

Thanks, I work in a state agency and I'm having enough issue getting a single PRO licence. I figured as much but i wanted to ask people who actually know the software. So be clear as long as I use functionality already availability in open source version no issues... 

Lucian
    Community Hero

Hi,

I created a simple project in ReadyApi (one simple http request and one groovyscript which logs a random message) and I was able to use it afterwards in the free version of SoapUI.

However I think this approach of having one SoapUI pro license to create the tests and then multiple SoapUI OS applications to run them is totally wrong and will bring trouble sooner or later.

After all what is the point of creating the tests in SoapUI pro if they will be mainly run from the open source version? You won't be able to use any pro feature... :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

larreising
      New Contributor
      Spoiler
      I completely agree on all tour points. and i've explained the issue with a single PRO version and we've decided to install on a computer which all my team members will be able to remote into to not only work on but also be able to launch testrunner.
        richie
        Community Hero

Hi,

I might be misunderstanding - but are you saying that you have a single pro license version and you are going to get the team to remote into the workstation with the pro on it to do you testing?

If you haven't a floating license I think this might fall outside 'allowed' usage in regards to licensing.  My soapui license is fixed (not floating) and the license is per user, per machine - so essentially if someone else logs into my VM (where my pro version is installed) - they cannot run my pro version.

I;m not certain but I think this isnt within what SmartBear accepts for a single fixed license. 

I'd double check with SmartBear to confirm you are covered.

Thanks,

richie