Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

Business Requirements

Hello,
Most testcases are typically tied to some sort of requirements. It would be a really useful feature to have a 'requirements' tab next to the description tab. If there are rows in the this 'requirements' tab, I can list all my requirements that my testcase covers. I can also then programatically tie these requirements to testcases in Quality Center.

Thanks

Ali

10 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

thanks.. could you "elaborate" on the layout of this tab? Is rows enough? Should there be only one column? etc..

regards!

/Ole
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    I think three columns are more than enough. At least for me there is typically some requirements number (e.g. Req# 4544.33) some title (e.g valid usernames) and sometimes a summary of the requirement (e.g. user names cannot contain special characters)

Ali
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Also,
    Please keep in mind that we should be able to any row/column via the soapUI api.

Thanks

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali!

Would it make sense to have this on a TestSuite level as well?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Now that you mention it, I think it would actually be ideal to have it at the project level.

Reason I say that is because I can have all my requirements for a project in one place. If the requirements can be imported from a xls/txt/csv file that would be awesome.

and then at the testcase level I should be able to import/map to requirements that have been defined for the project.

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

ok.. thanks! This is well in line with some other things we are planning.. do you see a many-to-many relationship between requirements and testcases? Or one-to-one?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    kind of early to ask this but what is the implementation time frame for this feature.
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Hello Ole,
    I have been thinking about this business requirements feature and had a few suggestions.

Typcially (atleast in our organization) requirements come in a big excel sheet from business units which we then write test cases against.
    Tester A will test chunk A of the project and verify requirements for chunk A, tester B will test chunk B and verify requirements for chunk Band so on..

At the managerial level, the manager wants to know that the union of the all the soapui testcases will have covered the entire requirements sheet.

At the moment we use Mercury Test Director to map test cases to requirements and that is how the management can be assured that all requirements are being covered.

so my suggestion in this regard is the following.

1. Import of requirements should happen at the 'workspace' level.

2. User can then map a testcase to any of the requirements.

3. There should be a feature (lets call it requirements analysis) which will will show the following things.
        a. what percentage of requirements are covered.
        b. requirements that are not covered.
        c. I should be able to select a requirement and soapUI should show me  the list of testcase for this requirement. I can select an entry on this list and be taken to that testcase (kind of like tele porting)

4. During a testrun report (the junit reports) I would also like to see that how many of my requirements are failing (based on failing testcases)

This analysis will be based on the projects that are in the workspace.

I think incorporating these suggestions would make soapUI a very powerful tool.

let me know what you think

Ali