Forum Discussion

MikeLoundes
Contributor
11 years ago

Assertion test step becomes unusable for a cloned test case

Hiya

referencing - http://forum.soapui.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21751&p=49169&sid=3059de42d37828d51fd343a9f69ff425&sid=3059de42d37828d51fd343a9f69ff425#p49169

for a test case that contains an assertion test step with multiple assertions including groups of assertions

the test was cloned and in the cloned test case the assertions within the test step lose reference to the request being used, moreover they could not be modified to reference the appropriate request and the test step could not be deleted

the test runner would also fail with a java null pointer exception

I had to revert to a previous version of the project xml file

5 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Not aware of any thing called assertion test step.

Do you mean that, you have a test step and it contains some assertions. This is all your case is? If not, would you please care to write the case in details or with a screen shot for better understanding of the case?
  • Hiya

right click and add a test step - last item in the list Assertion TestStep

screen shots attached of test step in question and the cloned one (note cloned the entire test case),

I was cloning the 1st test case in the list, after doing so the test runner cannot be used at either the top level or individual level for that test case, individual level for the other test cases is ok
    note the source is DELETED ELEMENT for the grouped assertion in the cloned copy, clearly losing some referential link there during the clone process
    as an additional note the 3 parties response assertion test step cannot even be accessed

as I mentioned the only solution found so far for this is to revert back to a previous project xml file (I'm not going to start fudging about in the xml file )
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Thanks for reporting this. We will try to reproduce it and (if we're succeed) add it to the backlog for prioritization.

Cheers!

Manne

PS: If you have any error logs with the NullPointerException, we'd love to have a look at them.
  • No worries

if you follow the link in the first post there's a copy and paste of the error produced in the error log when opening the test suite editor

regards
    Mike
    gallowdp
    New Contributor

This issue that was reported 3 years ago is still occurring today on the latest version of ReadyAPI/SoapUI. The more I work with this product the more frustrating it gets when there are several issues that never seem to be addressed.

I'm also still getting an "out of memory" error on a test case after following all of the steps on the support page, and after contacting support all they told me was to get more RAM. I'm definitely going to be looking for ReadyAPI alternatives after the subscription is over.