Forum Discussion

dhundley
Regular Contributor
17 days ago
Solved

Unbinding a project suite from source control

I have an automation project suite that is connected to Azure Devops. there are several of those test cases that i would like to convert to manual testing to run only on my workstation so i copied the entire project suite to a different folder. I don't want this new, copied project suite to be connected to source control. I found a smartbear support website that explains how to unbind a project or project suite but the "file menu|source control|unbind from source control" option does not exist (at least on the testcomplete that i have installed)

any suggestions from anyone?

• I'm not sure what source control you are using, but you need to use the application as opposed to the source control plugin.

I use Team Foundation Version Control Plugin, however I don't use this within TC. I use Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer 2019, to perform the necessary check-in/out etc, and also remove mapping (plus it's a lot quicker).

Remove Mapping

• i found an article on StackOverflow that suggested using the TortoiseGit Export option from the context menu. This sends it to a zip file and then when i extracted from the zip file it was free of any source control. Thanks for your help

6 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I'm not sure what source control you are using, but you need to use the application as opposed to the source control plugin.

I use Team Foundation Version Control Plugin, however I don't use this within TC. I use Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer 2019, to perform the necessary check-in/out etc, and also remove mapping (plus it's a lot quicker).

Remove Mapping

MW_Didata
    Regular Contributor

If its a copy of the project you can also remove the .git folder inside your copied projectsuite folder.

git will no longer track any files or changes to said files within the copied project.

The little checkboxes will be gone and the commit/ pull/ push buttons will be grayed out:

dhundley
      Regular Contributor

that probably would have been easier than the way i ended up doing it using the Export option. thanks!

dhundley
    Regular Contributor

i found an article on StackOverflow that suggested using the TortoiseGit Export option from the context menu. This sends it to a zip file and then when i extracted from the zip file it was free of any source control. Thanks for your help