Forum Discussion

davidp_1
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

Custom Logging of assert statements from Groovy script

I'd like to use the "assert" statement in Groovy and would like to put that nice output into a separate file. Right now I see that it goes into the error file (ready-api-errors.log), but I'd like the assertions to go into their own file. I know I can set up a custom logger, and specify that in a script for other types of log statements that I write myself. However, I want the output of the groovy assert statement to go into that custom log file. I'm sure I'm missing something really simply here...

Thanks!

7 Replies

davidp_1
      Occasional Contributor

Hi -- Yes, I'd seen that post, and that's where I learned about setting up the custom logger. What I was missing was pretty simple -- how to get groovy assert results into that file. I needed to put the assert into a try/catch, like this:

import org.apache.log4j.Logger 
      def fileLogger = Logger.getLogger("ASSERTION.SCRIPT.LOGGER");

def String expected = "Some Text"
      def String actual = "Some Unexpected Text"

assertVals(actual, expected, fileLogger)

def assertVals(String actual, String expected, Logger logger) {
      	if (expected != null) {
      		try {
      			assert expected == actual 
      		} 
      		catch(AssertionError e) {
      			logger.info(e.getMessage())
      		}
      	}
      }

Two notes:

• If you want the "power assert" formatting in the file, leave it as above. If you want a more standard version on a single line, add the optional ": 'This is the result'" part after the assert statement. Not sure why that is, but it works.
      • Because the "power assert formatting is sensitive, I turned off the formatting in the layout of the appender.
               <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
                  <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%m%n"/>
              </layout>

Of course, when you do that you don't get useful stuff like date/time. 

Thanks,

nmrao
        Champion Level 3

If you are looking for date and all you need provide the appropriate value in the configuration for ConversionPattern.

You may try something like below

%d{dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm:ss,SSS} [%-8t] %-5p  %c{1}:%L %x - %m %n