Forum Discussion

jeffrey_crowley
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Bulk delete old users?

I was looking through the Users list in ALMComplete and found that we have a large number of accounts that have never been used (711 of 976). I'm guessing that they were created when ALMComplete was rolled out 3 years ago but then just never used. I would like to clean up those users. What is the recommended way to do this clean up? I'm assuming delete each user but I don't want to delete them one at a time and I don't see a way to do this in bulk through the UI. I explored the WebServices route but don't see a way to delete users there either.

I'm looking for recommendations for both:

1. Bulk deleting Users from Security/Users

2. Bulk deleting Users from Users on this Project

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • I was looking through the Users list in ALMComplete and found that we have a large number of accounts that have never been used (711 of 976). I'm guessing that they were created when ALMComplete was rolled out 3 years ago but then just never used. I would like to clean up those users. What is the recommended way to do this clean up? I'm assuming delete each user but I don't want to delete them one at a time and I don't see a way to do this in bulk through the UI. I explored the WebServices route but don't see a way to delete users there either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello Jeff,

Currently, we don't have a way to bulk delete users from the UI. You could create a filter (Setup Tab > Security Folder > Users > Filters on the listing screen) that you could sort the user list by security group, Last Name, Fist Name, etc, and then manually delete each user from the narrowed down list. If you could open a case with us ( http://support.smartbear.com/product-list/choice/?prod=ALMComplete ) I would like to get your feature request submitted to our product management team, as I feel there would be some usefulness for a bulk user deletion.

Note: When a user is deleted, it does a “soft delete”, which means all rights and log in permission are removed, but the actual user record is not physically deleted. This ensures that data (defects, test sets, requirements, etc.) assigned or owned by the user, audits and history are preserved properly.

Thank you!

William

2 Replies

• Thanks, Will, for the response.

I could manually delete 711 users one at a time... but I think it might be faster to wait a year until the bulk delete feature is implemented... ;)

Yes... thanks... I am aware that these deletes are soft deletes. I think that's all I'm looking for at this point. I guess I could hard delete those users that have never logged in because they shouldn't have any associated records with their account. Then I could just soft delete those users that have left the company or haven't used ALM in ~year to keep their associated records.

I may need to psych myself up to tackle this task...

Ooooh... maybe I'll write a test complete script that will delete the users for me... that's a possible workaround. I was really hoping there would be a web service function to delete a user or something like that. The optimal solution would be what you suggested... to have something in the UI to bulk delete at least a page of users at a time.

Thanks again.
  • I was looking through the Users list in ALMComplete and found that we have a large number of accounts that have never been used (711 of 976). I'm guessing that they were created when ALMComplete was rolled out 3 years ago but then just never used. I would like to clean up those users. What is the recommended way to do this clean up? I'm assuming delete each user but I don't want to delete them one at a time and I don't see a way to do this in bulk through the UI. I explored the WebServices route but don't see a way to delete users there either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello Jeff,

Currently, we don't have a way to bulk delete users from the UI. You could create a filter (Setup Tab > Security Folder > Users > Filters on the listing screen) that you could sort the user list by security group, Last Name, Fist Name, etc, and then manually delete each user from the narrowed down list. If you could open a case with us ( http://support.smartbear.com/product-list/choice/?prod=ALMComplete ) I would like to get your feature request submitted to our product management team, as I feel there would be some usefulness for a bulk user deletion.

Note: When a user is deleted, it does a “soft delete”, which means all rights and log in permission are removed, but the actual user record is not physically deleted. This ensures that data (defects, test sets, requirements, etc.) assigned or owned by the user, audits and history are preserved properly.

Thank you!

William