Forum Discussion

akuczkowski
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

iOS Testing Questions

Hi,

We've starting testing an iOS iPad app and it's gone pretty well, but there are something things we haven't figured out that i'm hoping there are ways to do. Here are my questions.

1. Can you get the memory being used by the iOS application being tested? I couldn't find a method or property that would return the memory being used by the iOS process we are testing.
  2. Can you get the iPad's resolution? We are using Mobile.Device.Desktop.Width and Mobile.Device.Desktop.Height but we are always getting 1024x768 no matter what iPad we are using. We have tested with an iPad Air for example that clearly has a much higher resolution and we'd like to be able to record that in code.
  3. Is there a way to kill the iOS process being tested, something equivalent to .Terminate() which TestComplete has available for Windows processes?

So far all our tests have been with iOS 8.1.3. We are using the latest version of TestComplete as well, 10.5.

Thanks for any help,

Adam

• Got answers from support if anyone was curious.

1. Can you get the memory being used by the iOS application being tested? I couldn't find a method or property that would return the memory being used by the iOS process we are testing.

No, so I entered a feature request http://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Feature-Requests/We-want-to-be-able-to-track-iOS-App-memory-use/idi-p/96217

2. Can you get the iPad's resolution? We are using Mobile.Device.Desktop.Width and Mobile.Device.Desktop.Height but we are always getting 1024x768 no matter what iPad we are using. We have tested with an iPad Air for example that clearly has a much higher resolution and we'd like to be able to record that in code.

"This behavior is expected. For retina displays, TestComplete returns the size of the screen in points, not pixels. Retina displays have 4-time more pixels that non-retina ones of the same size (2048*1536 = 1024*768*4). But, from the programming point of view, this changes nothing since, programmatically, four retina pixels are just referred to as one point."

3. Is there a way to kill the iOS process being tested, something equivalent to .Terminate() which TestComplete has available for Windows processes?

"No, there is no such method in TestComplete for the iOS applications. You can only reinstall your iOS application every time you're starting testing."

1 Reply

• Got answers from support if anyone was curious.

No, so I entered a feature request http://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Feature-Requests/We-want-to-be-able-to-track-iOS-App-memory-use/idi-p/96217

"This behavior is expected. For retina displays, TestComplete returns the size of the screen in points, not pixels. Retina displays have 4-time more pixels that non-retina ones of the same size (2048*1536 = 1024*768*4). But, from the programming point of view, this changes nothing since, programmatically, four retina pixels are just referred to as one point."

"No, there is no such method in TestComplete for the iOS applications. You can only reinstall your iOS application every time you're starting testing."