Forum Discussion

Nimeshika
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

How long can the Project name be?

Hello,

I need to give long project names but I get an error saying "The project's full name is too long "

For example :

Project name ; EXC.BandRubber.Admission.LevelofHelp.CurableOptionIsNotUpdatedOnBOCifYouTypeTheDate.EXCH789

Kindly let me know if there are any settings that allows me to provide long names for naming a project.

Regards,

Nimeshika

• Hi Nimeshika,

Windows has path length limitation of 259 characters, including the drive name, folder name and file name. It's an operating system limitation, not TestComplete's.

When naming your projects, keep in mind that file paths inside the project can take 70+ characters. For example, the Visualizer and log file paths can be quite long:

\KeywordTests\Visualizer\TestName_tcKDTest\TestName.tcKDTest.tcVis
    \Log\MM_DD_YYYY_HH_MM AM_SS_SSS\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}

That leaves about 180 characters for the project's full path.

A possible way to have a (relatively) long project name is to create the project with a short name and then rename it in the Project Explorer. The project folder on the disk will keep the short name, but TestComplete will show the long project name.

Also, when you create projects you can click More and either uncheck Create folder for project suite or enter a short name for the project suite - this will shorten the project path length.

project-wizard.png

2 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Nimeshika,

Windows has path length limitation of 259 characters, including the drive name, folder name and file name. It's an operating system limitation, not TestComplete's.

When naming your projects, keep in mind that file paths inside the project can take 70+ characters. For example, the Visualizer and log file paths can be quite long:

\KeywordTests\Visualizer\TestName_tcKDTest\TestName.tcKDTest.tcVis
    \Log\MM_DD_YYYY_HH_MM AM_SS_SSS\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}

That leaves about 180 characters for the project's full path.

A possible way to have a (relatively) long project name is to create the project with a short name and then rename it in the Project Explorer. The project folder on the disk will keep the short name, but TestComplete will show the long project name.

Also, when you create projects you can click More and either uncheck Create folder for project suite or enter a short name for the project suite - this will shorten the project path length.

project-wizard.png