Forum Discussion

lraju
New Contributor
9 years ago

Inconsistent MappedName for the same object in two different environments

I'm new to Test Complete and I'm automating a Web application in a Dev environment with a copy of our QA database. When it comes to running the scripts, the database from the Dev environment will be restored in the QA environment and the scripts will be run. While running the recorded Keyword Scripts in the QA environment, I saw that the Object Checkpoints were failing due to the MappedName being incosistent between the two environments. The last node of the MappedName from QA environment is different from the Dev environment (differences highlighted in red below). 

MappedName in QA: Aliases["browser"]["pageMyProjectsItemAuthoringAndRe"]["panelBody"]["sectionGridMainContent"]["sectionProjects"]["panelVisible"]["panelKGridContent"]["table"]["cellHoverlink"]

MappedName in Dev: Aliases["browser"]["pageMyProjectsItemAuthoringAndRe2"]["panelBody"]["sectionGridMainContent"]["sectionProjects"]["panelVisible2"]["panelKGridContent"]["table"]["cellHoverlinkKStateBorderDown"]

There is no difference between the code in the two environments. The only difference, in Dev, is I'm running the application locally. The only way I'm able to get the scripts to run in QA is by replacing the Dev MappedName Value in the Object Checkpoint with the QA MappedName for all the checkpoints in the scripts (Value highlighted in red in the attachment).

How do I get around these inconsistencies between the environments so I can use the scripts recorded in Dev and run them in QA?

2 Replies

lraju
      New Contributor

Hi Marsha_R,

Thanks for replying.

I gave that a try and it seems to be failing for me. Below is a screenshot of the script I am working with. Script.jpg

I recorded the script in Dev and I'm trying to run it in QA. Object Checkpoint highlighted in green was recorded in Dev environment, and the number "6" highlighted in red is the difference between the Dev and QA. I edited the "6" manually, replacing it with "*," and ran the script in the QA environment, but the object was not recognized. I tried replacing it with "?" as well, but that didn't work either. 

I used "http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/54937/" site to help with using wildcards but this doesn't apply to my situation since I'm not using "MappedName" as the property of the object to be verfied, but it is being used to find the object itself on the page. 

Object_Checkpoint.jpg

How can I use wildcards on MappedName when it is being used to find the object?

Thanks,

Lohitha