Forum Discussion

rrivest
Contributor
9 years ago

IExplorer Memory consumption with TestComplete 10.60

Greatings folks....

I've noticed since I've updated my test environment from TC 10.5 to 10.6 that IE seems to consume more and more memory and threads as I cycle through my testcases. 

I don't have this kind of problem on either Chrome, FF or even Safari..

Anyone has encountered that issue ?

10 Replies

• Yes it consumes an incredible amount of memory and doesn't seem to release it. When I run the same test suite manually, I do not run into the same issues. I have opened a ticket with TC support but have not had any success up to this point.

rrivest
      Contributor

Thx Tod

Let me know if they find something...

I get that problem with TC & TE, since I've updated to 10.6. Only in IE (whichever version...9, 10, 11)

Although, one pointer might be that I launch IE using this technic :

function Open_IE(url)
      {
        var myBrowser;
        // Set the opening URL to parameter
        Browsers.Item(btIExplorer).Run(url,30000);

var myBrowser = Sys.Browser("*",0);
        Project["Variables"]["currentBrowser"]= myBrowser;
        return myBrowser;

}

jgoetz
    Occasional Contributor
    I am running into the same issue. Did you receive any resolution on this? The IE memory builds up and eventually TestComplete stops running the script because it "can't find" iexplore. The window is still there and I have to shut down IE completely in order to continue.
      todd_james
      Contributor

No we never did get a resolution. We worked around it by doing a certain number of steps, killing all instances of IExplore, then starting the browser again.

--Todd

jgoetz
        Occasional Contributor

Ok Thanks.  Unfortunately that is what I have been doing also, but we can't continue to do that manual input as it is defeating the purpose of having automated scripts, if we can't start the run and let it go. 

chrisb
    Regular Contributor

First off I would make sure your machine meets the minimum spec as per SmartBear requirements. I believe it is 6GB RAM minimum for running Test Complete. I run with 8GB on my test machines to test IE.

Second, are there multiple IE processes / tabs getting opened and staying open during your test run? Also, if you are opening and closing IE multiple times during a test run you might want to make sure the IE processes are terminated within a reasonable timeframe as they seem to hand around in the Windows OS for a while.

jgoetz
      Occasional Contributor

I have 8GB Ram. I am only openning one instance of IE while testing, but at least 2 iexplore processes are then showing when this happens.  And I am not openning and closing IE at this time.  I would like to try to avoid openning and closing IE if possible, because this happens at random places in my scripts, and I would need to store where it stopped, but customer/policy/claim record was open at the time and then have the scripts reopen that customer/policy/claim and navigate back to the same spot it was at. 

As a temporary workaround, I would like to know if there was a way just to clear the IE memory without actually closing the IE windows.