Forum Discussion

DCat1223
Frequent Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Help with an error message when executing a keyword test.

Good afternoon, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am having trouble with a keyword test.

The piece giving me trouble is referencing a value in a spreadsheet in a column called “DCRA Annual Amt”. The data in the spreadsheet are all set up properly as project level variables. 

The part I am struggling with is a basic If…Then statement that basically says:

If ProjectSuite.Variables.EmpData("DCRA Annual Amt") Equals Decline, do this… Else do this.

This was not working.

To troubleshoot, I added a Code Snipped, showMessage… just before the If…Then to show me what the value was that is being read from the Excel sheet to be used in the If…Then:

BuiltIn.ShowMessage(ProjectSuite.Variables.EmpData("DCRA Annual Amt"))

This is failing, giving me the following error:

An error occurred while executing the code snippet: Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (String) and I am guessing if the messagebox can’t find the value, then this has something to do with the If…Then failing as well.

I have attached screenshots of both the keyword test and the spreadsheet.

What is making me crazy is if I change the Code Snipped to look at any of the other fields in my spreadsheet to the left or right of the DCRA Annual Amt field, I receive the expected value returned in the message box. It’s just this column that is causing me trouble.  I have attached a screenshot. 

My question is, what could be causing the An error occurred while executing the code snippet: Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (String) message?

• The DB provider chooses whether a column is considered as data or text.  Changing the format of the data only changes the  view of the data, not the underlying value. What happens if you write a little test to read the values for a column one at a time and log them?

For more information, check this article Using Excel Files as Data Storages and this Forum article Trouble getting desired excel data

6 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

When using excel make sure ALL cells of your column have the same type/format. This is a common error when working with Excel Sheets. Testcomplete does not recogize different data types/formats in the same column.

DCat1223
      Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  All cells (including the heading) are formatted as Currency.  Just to be sure, I selected the whole column, changed it to Text, then back to Currency.  I also tried formatting to Text and running it.  Still the same error.  Any other thoughts?   

cunderw
        Community Hero

You have decline right above the first number, which means you have numbers and text, they should all be text.