Forum Discussion

jsc
Regular Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Edge and TestComplete 11.11 not working

Hi all,

I am extending our tests from chrome to be run in edge as well.

I read that Edge is supported from TestComplete 11.10 and later.

The URL I want to navigate to is: www.spiegel.de

TestComplete version installed: 11.11.1064.7

Chrome: no problem with TestComplete 11.11

IE 11: no problem with TestComplete 11.11

Edge: manually no problem

Edge: does not work with TestComplete 11.11

- Log: Unable to navigate to the www.spiegel.de page.

- Additional Info: 

• URL: www.spiegel.de Process ID: 5960 Process Command Line: "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -ServerName:MicrosoftEdge.AppXdnhjhccw3zf0j06tkg3jtqr00qdm0khc.mca Info: Cannot find any existing or open blank page. NameMapping.Sys.Process("Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge")
  • URL: www.spiegel.de
  • Process ID: 5960
  • Process Command Line: "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -ServerName:MicrosoftEdge.AppXdnhjhccw3zf0j06tkg3jtqr00qdm0khc.mca
  • Info: Cannot find any existing or open blank page.
  • NameMapping.Sys.Process("Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge")

I tried by script or the Run Browser-element in keyword tests - no success.

I also checked if I have to enable some extension but did not find anything.

Any help appreciated.

Joachim

jsc
    9 years ago

The problem is build 10586 of Windows 10.

This build can prevent TestComplete from working correctly with Microsoft Edge.

(if this happens in all cases - I don't know)

25 Replies

• Hello,

I had a similar issue and it turned out that my "Process Filter" did not have Microsoft Edge included.  Note: Microsoft Edge has even changed its Process Name in one of its last updates.

Go to Tools >> Current Project Properties >> Open Applications >> Process Filter.

My project was only looking at older browsers and as soon as I selected "Add Process" and included Microsoft Edge, then TestComplete recognized Edge normally like any other browser.  Drove me nuts until I found this.  Hope it helps someone else too. :-)

~Chris

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us. I hope it will save the time for somebody else in the future.

thuy
        Occasional Contributor

Any more news on this?   Has this been resolved yet?

We're using TestComplete 11.30.2298.7 and we're getting the same error when trying to run scripts to test our webpage against MicrosoftEdge browser (version 20.10240.16384.0, Win10 version 10.0.10240).  Upon examining browser process "Edge" in the "Object Browser" tab, I noticed it only had "BrowserWindow(0)" underneath it, no "Page" object and that looks like it's the root cause!  See attached image.   If I brought up google.com or msn.com, the "Page" objects for these two webpages were created fine.   What's going on?  Should we contact Customer Care Team?  I verified that option "Enable support for testing Windows Store applications" is checked / enabled.  We're using AngularJS 1.5.3 for the webpages.

Code:

Browsers.Item(btEdge).Run(url);

Log:

Unable to navigate to the http://lisqa02:9090/ezshipping-0.1.91/componentTestPage/... page. 13:11:07 Normal 

Additional Info:

URL: http://lisqa02:9090/ezshipping-0.1.91/componentTestPage/#/searchBox
          Process ID: 5044
          Process Command Line: "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"   -ServerName:MicrosoftEdge.AppXdnhjhccw3zf0j06tkg3jtqr00qdm0khc.mca
          Info: Cannot find the Page node after calling the NavigateTo method.

Aliases.browser
      jsc
      Regular Contributor

Hi Tanya,

the checkbox was disabled (most probably changed by updating to windows 10).

But after enabling the checkbox and restarting TestComplete the problem still exists. I also checked the other settings on https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/77787/

Still Edge cannot navigate to the page.

* Indicator push: "Waiting for Page('*')"

* Log: Unable to navigate to the www.spiegel.de page

* Additional Info:

• URL: www.spiegel.de Process ID: 8208 Process Command Line: "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -ServerName:MicrosoftEdge.AppXdnhjhccw3zf0j06tkg3jtqr00qdm0khc.mca Info: Cannot find any existing or open blank page. Aliases.browser
      • URL: www.spiegel.de
      • Process ID: 8208
      • Process Command Line: "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -ServerName:MicrosoftEdge.AppXdnhjhccw3zf0j06tkg3jtqr00qdm0khc.mca
      • Info: Cannot find any existing or open blank page.
      • Aliases.browser

(all other browsers work fine: IE11, Chrome, Firefox)

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jsc,

One more thing to check – TestComplete must be installed into a subfolder of the <Program Files> folder (or <Program Files (x86)> on 64-bit operating systems) to test Edge. If the product is installed in that folder, I suggest that you update to TestComplete 11.20 to check how it works with Edge in your case.

• Edge is not working for me again either with TC 11.31.  In my attached image, you can see that Internet Explorer correctly identifies the "Page" object but Edge can not.  I've had problems with Pop-Up windows from the beginning and in every version but now I can't run my scripts at all again since it can't execute the very first ToURL command since no page is found.

~Chris

thuy
      Occasional Contributor

I'm working SmartBear support group on my issue on Edge.  Will let you guys know how it goes.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

thuy:

Hi,

Just to double-check: have you verified that Edge is not allowed to run as a background process?

If the browser (Edge, Chrome, ...) is allowed to run as a background process, TestComplete finds it as a process, but, obviously, cannot find its Page object and fails to navigate to the url. (Though I am not pretty sure about the actual error thrown in this case.)