Forum Discussion

m_essaid
Valued Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Delphi, DBGrids and debug info

Hi,

Another problem... We obviously don't compile our products with debug infos on and optimizations off.

And we must test our softwares in a real environment, so with this configuration.

But I have problems with a simple DBGrid.

If I build a version with debug info, everything is fine. All the methods that are explained in SmartBear samples works perfectly.

But if I take off debug info in the build, I can't go further.

I only want to set focus on a specified row...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mehdi

• I didn't like the idea of using debug info either so I use Text Recognition to select things on rows.

Hope that helps you as well.

7 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Mehdi,

Is there a reason of why you don’t want to include debug version into your build? 

Perhaps, you like using the StripTDS utility. It extracts the debug information from your tested application and writes it to a separate file. When the file is located next to your .exe file (without the debug info), TestComplete can recognize your app as Open and provides much more methods and properties for test. Please read the “About StripTDS” article: http://smartbear.com/viewarticle/55458/

m_essaid
      Valued Contributor

Hi Tanya,

Your solution is very interesting.

I tested it on my computer, and it works fine (giving me access to properties that where invisible).

I'll discuss with the colleague who makes the builds to put a tds file for me near the executable.

Thank you

mehdi

HKosova
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Mehdi,

If your devs prefer using standard tools – RAD Studio has built-in analogs of our StripTDS tool.

• C++Builder 2006+ includes the tdstrp32 utility (<BDS>\<version>\Bin\tdstrp32.exe). But unlike StripTDS it can process only 1 file at a time, so for batch processing you'll need something like this:
          :: .bat file
          for /r "C:\MyApp" %%f in (*.exe *.dll) do tdstrp32.exe -s "%%~ff"

• RAD Studio XE2+ provides the Place debug information in separate TDS file option for 32-bit Delphi projects. It's in Project Options > Dephi Compiler > Linking. For details, see TDS Debug File (*.tds).

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor

I didn't like the idea of using debug info either so I use Text Recognition to select things on rows.

Hope that helps you as well.

m_essaid
      Valued Contributor

Hi,

Pretty simple and pretty good solution, thank you again Ryan :)

Ryan_Moran
        Valued Contributor

Np m_essaid.

I do not use debug mode because it clutters the installation directory and it's not how our customer will run the application.

Even if it's a seemingly miniscule difference this has in the past proven to show variations in functionality on our system vs. a customers system. So we just avoid doing anything different as a general practice. In any event we've been able to archieve more than adequate automated testing with our delphi application just by adding text recognition and image checks.