Forum Discussion

BernardFanthom
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Ambiguous object mapping.

All,

I am creating TestComplete scripts for an application developed in visual basic 6. I have a new release of the application in which the executable's name is changed. Old name QLX, - new name QL.

As I record new scripts, on screen objects fall into the object map under parent QL.

Re-running old scripts the QLX object mappings are failing, and need to be re-aligned. When done so they also align under the QL parent.

Now I have the problem of new (QL) mappings failing as it does not recognise them. I think it may be confusing them with older mappings (QLX).

How do I resolve this? Can I destroy the QLX mapping from it's tree, so as TestComplete will not see it?

Any other ideas?

scsvel
    9 years ago

I can recommend changing the property values for the old QLX without changing anything. Just reflect the changes in the object's properties not name or scripts. Just give a try.

4 Replies

matt_tarka
    New Contributor

Try conditional mapping for the alias (Check under NameMapping in the Project Explorer).  Check the process properties for your appliation in the Object explorer and find something that is the same for you applications.  Use that property as conditional property for name mapping.

For instance, I use the CommandLine property for my appliation that we can launch using java.exe or javaw.exe from the same path.  I have a conditional mapping where I check a process for the matching command line property and then map that process to the desired alias.

BernardFanthom
      Contributor

I will look into this Matt.

Does TestComplete have a facility to compare mappings. For example if I can see the criteria of a button before and after a change to the application I will know what changes.

Some time ago I did this using a different tool. It had a DIFF facility where you could see the differences between 2 mappings of the same object.

scsvel
        Frequent Contributor

I can recommend changing the property values for the old QLX without changing anything. Just reflect the changes in the object's properties not name or scripts. Just give a try.

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

easyest way is o re-name QLX to QL and run separate test.

changing mapping would be a big task if you have lot of objects mapped.