Forum Discussion

Dewayne_Pinion
Contributor
9 years ago

New user: newbie question about tracking time through an application

Hello,

We have a .Net application (Managed code) that I am attempting to profile. What I think I am finding is a couple of issues (in my eyes) that I would like to see if there is a way around, both having to do with timing the application. It seems that the "Get Results" also takes into account idle time when the application is not doing anything. For example I open a module in my application, and then I may go off somewhere and forget to get the results. When I finally do there is a pretty significant time for the "Main" module. Is there a way to only have it track when the application is active?

2nd question:

So say I want to open Module 1, and then open Module 2, but I want them captured independently. It seems like even though I disable profiling between the opening of the modules, it takes into account the times and calls that were a part of opening Module 1? Is this the case? I am just trying to get a better handle on the product. Thanks for any assistance :)

1 Reply

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> [...] there is a pretty significant time for the "Main" module. Is there a way to only have it track when the application is active?

I am not sure if this is possible because there is no definition (or the way to determine) of what is the active application. From the profiler's point of view, the code is called and thus it must be counted. Profiler has no idea of whether the called code just checked the keyboard queue or did some intensive background calculations. On the other hand, you may be interested exactly in verification of the keyboard polling code, so no reason to exclude it from profiling by default.

> I am just trying to get a better handle on the product.

I would recommend to go through the http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/54562/ help section and, maybe, some related ones. AQtime has extensive help documentation that provides a lot of information and really worth reading. I think that you should be able to get what you need with the help of different Time columns (Time, Time With Children, etc.). Note, that not all of them might be displayed by default.

Also I would recommend to watch the videos (http://support.smartbear.com/screencasts/aqtime/).

Hope, this will help.