Forum Discussion

stevenerat
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Scenario recording show form parameter, but Parameter wizard doesn't see it

Hello,

I've been using LoadComplete in the Trial version for a couple weeks now.  I've created a list of enhancements of how I'd like to the tool to work based on my experience (Silk and JMeter) and expectations of such a tool.   I'd like to discuss here one particular problem I've encountered.

I have a simple scenario recorded, one of the requests (shown in the attachments) is Request 0008 for getResults.cfm.  The HTTP Request is an AJAX call with header x-requested-with: XMLHttpRequest.  This request sends a URL Parameter for ShowAll, and a Form parameter called Search, with a simple text string value.  I want to parameterize the  Form parameter value based on a CSV file.

However, when I go to the Set Parameter Values wizard, the Request 0008 for getResults.cfm the the form parameter is not shown, only the URL parameter is shown, even though the "Show Form Parameters" box is enabled.   Therefore, I cannot associate the form field Search with an external CSV data provider.

The Set Parameter Values wizard does not allow me to inject a new form variable, in the case where it does not appear and I want to add it here.  When I attempt to highlight Request0008 and click NEXT I get the warning "Please select a parameter first".

So, first there is the issue of the wizard not seeing the form field for the request.  Second is the issue of not being able to add a parameter ad-hoc later.

From the Scenario > Request 0008 > Request > Form > Parameter/Value window I can select click on the Value field and select from existing variables, but it does not allow me to create a new variable right there in that window and associate with a CSV file.  That would be a nice enhancement.

Thank you.

Steven Erat

7 Replies

stevenerat
    Occasional Contributor
    Really, your forum can't show attached images inline with the post but users have to download them? /sigh
    AlexeyKryuchkov
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Steven,

So, first there is the issue of the wizard not seeing the form field for the request.

This doesn't look like the expected behavior. Can you check whether the issue persists on LoadComplete 2.50 Beta? You can get it using the instructions from this thread. If the issue persists, could you please pack the folder containing your test project and post the archive here? Or, you can submit an individual support case through our Contact Support form.

From the Scenario > Request 0008 > Request > Form > Parameter/Value window I can select click on the Value field and select from existing variables, but it does not allow me to create a new variable right there in that window and associate with a CSV file.  That would be a nice enhancement.

Thanks for the improvement idea. I have registered your request in our DB as a suggestion.

Really, your forum can't show attached images inline with the post but users have to download them? /sigh

I've forwarded your request to the responsible persons.
    stevenerat
    Occasional Contributor
    Mike,

Thank you for your reply and acknowledgements of the suggestions.

Per your request, I upgraded 2.0 to 2.5 Beta, rebooted, and recreated the test scenario.  I also opened the previously recorded test scenario taken from before the upgrade.  In 2.5Beta, the same AJAX form parameter problem exists.  The Parameter wizard does not see the Request 0008 form parameter.

Additionally, I will have to attempt to downgrade (reinstall) back to 2.0 because of the problems I encountered in this new thread.

AlexeyKryuchkov
    Hi Steven,

Thanks for checking. In this case, could you please provide your test project in the way I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.
    stevenerat
    Occasional Contributor
    Mike,

Thanks for your follow up.  On Friday I had a call with Paul Perry and Mike Punsky and I sent them the project along with a DejaClick recording. 
    AlexeyKryuchkov
    Hi Steven,

I haven't got any messages on the matter from them. If you still need our assistance, please submit a new support case using our Contact Support form and attach the files to the ticket - I'll be able to access the files right away.

Thank you.
    Anonymous
    Hi Steve

I suspect the issue with parameterization you point out may be related to the Header parameterization feature that was added post-Beta 2. Mike probably proceeded on the general knowledge that this feature was planned for the release but was not aware of the exact delivery status vis-a-vis different Beta builds.

LoadComplete 2.5 is pretty much out the door. If we have your project we could check that with the final release candidate. I will ask Mike Punsky to follow up on that.

Thank you for your detailed feedback!