Forum Discussion

tarttdh
Occasional Contributor
6 months ago
Solved

Virtual Machines

Is there a possible way to configure a Virtual Machine on a physical server | hard drive connected to a VPN and use the Virtual Machine to test other physical Workstations connected to the same Network? And set this up all offline? 

• A VM is software that emulates a physical computer. You need a host machine to run a VM, whether it's your local machine i.e. workstation or server. A server can host many VM's without performance issues.

Majority of all software including TestComplete will run on a VM. It's not necessarily to know the host, hosting the VM is either a workstation or server.

We had TestComplete licences hosted on a physical machine, that's is connected to the main domain. I have a VM that is on a virtual private network, which doesn't have access to the main domain. Our IT  team have configured the VM to gain access to the licence server. I run TestComplete on the VM.

• Not that I'm aware of. 

Your best bet is to get in contact with SmartBear.

5 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

A VM is software that emulates a physical computer. You need a host machine to run a VM, whether it's your local machine i.e. workstation or server. A server can host many VM's without performance issues.

Majority of all software including TestComplete will run on a VM. It's not necessarily to know the host, hosting the VM is either a workstation or server.

We had TestComplete licences hosted on a physical machine, that's is connected to the main domain. I have a VM that is on a virtual private network, which doesn't have access to the main domain. Our IT  team have configured the VM to gain access to the licence server. I run TestComplete on the VM.

tarttdh
      Occasional Contributor

I guess the best way to ask my question is, 

Is there a way to use Test complete license without getting a fingerprint file for the offline license? because I cannot give out that information. 

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Not that I'm aware of. 

Your best bet is to get in contact with SmartBear.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

A server with it's own storage, can host VMs. Having VMs to test physical workstations, makes no sense!?

Is your question relating to TestComplete licences?

tarttdh
      Occasional Contributor

So, I know Test Execute can run test on VMs hosted on a Workstation. Can a VM hosted on a server run test on separate workstations connected to the same network? 

Trying to find a way to allow access to licenses on a VPN without moving licenses over and re-configuring a new fingerprint file just to move the license from one machine to another.