Forum Discussion

johnmclaughlin
Contributor
13 years ago

Recognising unexpected windows

I am testing a new administration system. When filling in details on one of the screens, a window pops up asking me to save or continue. I have added an on screen action to click the ok button on the pop-up window but it cannot be found when I try to highlight it on screen.

How can I get test complete to recognise the window?

Any help will be much appreciated

5 Replies

• Hi,

As far as I understand, you are creating a keyword test manually. Could you please try recording the needed actions over the problematic window and see how TestComplete recognizes it? 

• I am doing a manual keyword test.

I have had a look through the help sections. I have changed the playback in the project properties for unexpected windows. I have tried all combinations of the options and I still cannot get test complete to recognise or remove the window.

The window has it's own alias under iexplore in the name mapping but I cannot select criteria for it to search for because it does not exist.

I have used object spy on the window and the information is the same as in the name mapping.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Since you're doing web testing and, since it looks like you're using either Vista or Windows 7, most likely your version of internet explorer is spawning multiple processes.   There is a registry edit you need to do to bring your IE instances to a single process to make it easier to identify objects in TestComplete.  Most likely, your popup window is not being recognized because it is spawning under a different process than what it was originally mapped under.

• I'm not sure what you mean by multiple processes. I'm assuming it has something to do with the multiple iexplore tabs in the name mapping.

I'm not sure if this is the problem because when it fails i immediately re-map the item and then try to "highlight on screen" and it cannot find it. So it isnt actually respawning, its the same instances.

What is a registry edit?