Forum Discussion

claventure
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Does TestComplete Truly run Headless (TestExecute as well)?

So we have one (1) TestComplete License, we have the TestExecute which comes with it. There are Three machines involved in this scenario, but Only 1 Requires TestComplete (named myDeskto...
    10 years ago
    Running a very similar setup to you - I had tests run automatically, and headlessly, on a VM as part of a build process.

The entire thing was kicked off by TeamCity (the build engine in use for the project). I simply gave them a BAT file to start TestExecute and it did the rest. Project was stored in version control. Application was web based. So run in a browser on a VM with part of the site hosted on a test VM elsewhere.

Entire run happened headlessly (as you mention, this is down to the setup of the VM). TeamCity would pull down the most recent version of the project from Source Control (GIT), dump it onto the VM with TestExecute installed and then start TestExecute using the BAT file I supplied. High level results were also captured by TeamCity and included in the results of the build. Low level results (which were linked to in the TeamCity output) were stored elsewhere on a network drive.

If I wanted to look in on the run (not often as it was overnight) I used VNC to view the remote VM. Using Remote Desktop to connect would cause the run to fail when you closed the remote connection.

So yes, it can be done. I'm not sure about how TeamCity was set up exactly as our build engineer did that part. I just supplied him with all the parts to make it work.