Forum Discussion

rachel_hughes
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

How can I enter a defect / bug number against a failed QAComplete test?

Currently I am using Ontime to log defects, but would like to capture the bug number against the failed test - is this possible?

CGangloff
    9 years ago

Hello Rachel,

Thank you for your reply. We don't have custom fields available at that level/details but we are looking in to it. I will create a case for you in order to raise the priority and provide it to our Product Management team. This way you will be contacted when there is an update.

As a work around you could create a custom field in your Test Library for example a Custom Text Field named Ontime Bug Number and you can enter the Ontime Bug Number in to the custom field after you run the Tests. This custom field will be available on the Test Library Report for you as long as you make sure that the Custom Field matches across all Projects (same Custom Field number, same Custom Field name, same Custom Field type on all Projects).

Thank you,

Christiane

4 Replies

• Hello Rachel,

You can automatically create a Defect from a failed Test. When a Test Step in the Test Run is failed, you have the option to automatically create a linked Defect. If you failed any step, when you click Next Test, the Auto Create Defect dialog appears.

The Auto Create Defect message appears > example screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/HHGFoFqySB

You can select the desired action:

- Do not automatically create defects for this Test Run: Do not create a Defect. Any failed test during the rest of this run will not auto-create a defect.
    - Never automatically create defects for any Test Run: Do not create a Defect. Turn off the automatic creation of defects across all test runs for the current user. This can be turned on or off in Setup > System Configuration > System Options under Your Personal Preferences.
    - Yes: Create a new Defect and open the Defect add form.
    - No: Do not create a defect. Continue the Test Run.

If you selected Yes, the new Defect opens up in an Add Defect form. You can make changes to the Defect so that all details are ready for your team to address.

Steps to Reproduce on the Defect will default to the Step, Step Status and Expected Result of the Steps within the failed Test.

At the bottom of the Add Defect form, you’ll see that Auto Create Defect has also automatically linked this Defect to the Test, the Test Set, and the Release. Example screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/7YpFf3i2EC

You can also create a Test from a Defect, if you have a Defect that would make a great Test, you can edit a Defect, then click the "Add Linked item" link at the top of the screen. This allows you to create any type of item with details from the Defect and automatically links them. Example screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/OKSwaKzH

Or if you have already an existing Defect, you can link that Defect to your Test by editing the Test, scroll down to "Linked Items:" and click on the "Link to Items..." link. Then select the Type, select your Folder or Title and click on Submit and Submit again. Example screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/f5znwBhcGY

Thank you,
    Christiane

rachel_hughes
      Contributor

Thanks I understand this.  I was after a way to enter a defect number against a failed test without using the internal defect management system.  I use Ontime and I'm aware of the limitations with integrating with QA Complete.  I just wanted a field where I could enter the bug number and report on i, for example in the "Test Runs Report".

CGangloff

Hello Rachel,

Thank you for your reply. We don't have custom fields available at that level/details but we are looking in to it. I will create a case for you in order to raise the priority and provide it to our Product Management team. This way you will be contacted when there is an update.

As a work around you could create a custom field in your Test Library for example a Custom Text Field named Ontime Bug Number and you can enter the Ontime Bug Number in to the custom field after you run the Tests. This custom field will be available on the Test Library Report for you as long as you make sure that the Custom Field matches across all Projects (same Custom Field number, same Custom Field name, same Custom Field type on all Projects).

Thank you,

Christiane